Thursday, September 24, 2015

Energy Trail Mix

Since my friends and I are getting ready to go on our Fourth Annual Girls-Only Camping Trip, I thought it would be a good time to share with everyone my favorite trail mix recipe. This recipe doesn't stray much from the 'typical' trail mix and is pretty much what you can buy pre-mixed at the store. Except for 1 big thing: The Price.






Ingredients:
1/4 c. Sunflower Kernels, dry roasted
1/2 c. Raisins
3/4 c. Pistachios, roasted and salted
1 1/8 c. Almonds, unsalted
1 1/2 c. Peanuts, unsalted



Directions:
1. Dump it in a bowl
2. Mix it together



Review:
Now obviously, I love this recipe because of the cost. It is significantly less money for much more trail mix. Another great thing is that I know EXACTLY what is going into my body. I'm not really referring to the Organic jargon that many people are into, I'm talk about calories, protein, energy, etc. When I first decided to make this trail mix, I wanted something that would give me energy right before I work out, and less than 200 calories. So, I worked the numbers.

Using the nutrition facts, I calculated how many calories there were for each of the five ingredients. An entire batch (3 1/2 cups) of Energy Trail Mix is 2656 calories. Then I used cross-multiplication to figure out how many cups would give me 200 calories and came up with 0.26 cup.



So, each serving is 1/4 cup with 182 calories, 6.6 grams of protein, and 14.4 grams of fat.  .....I really don't know what all that means as far as comparing it to pre-mixed trail mix. But I DO know that it tastes good, its cheap to make, and it gives me energy.



I'm taking a few packs with me camping this weekend. Check out another trail mix recipe I made up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment