Monday, July 13, 2015

Planning is my Forte: Planning for the Move

To say that planning is my forte is a bit of an understatement. I think God created me to plan.  I'm not sure if I would categorize it as a talent, or a habit, or a compulsion, but plan, I must.


Although my planning can sometimes probably be annoying, it is an extremely handy habit to have at certain times of your life. Moving is one of those times. As soon as we officially decided to move, and we had seen the house, I started creating our Moving Plan.



First, I sketched out a floor plan. We named every room, to make the moving process a bit easier, and we decided where all of the major pieces of furniture would go. Additionally, we decided who would get which closets, and where all of our clothes should go. Its not that our new house has less storage space (in fact it has more), it just has.... different storage space. The closets are random shapes and are in what seems like odd places. But hey, its an old, unique house, so weird closets are to be expected.

Next, I used excel spreadsheet to create lists for every day. I worked backwards, as it was easier to pinpoint what needed to wait until the last day to pack. I also used color-coding to show events where we could not complete any packing/moving work, and I used bold font for important items.



As we completed each item, we would mark it off. I personally think think marking things off your list helps to create motivation because you can actually see your progress. Trust me, just looking at our house during the packing process was not the most encouraging. It seemed the more we packed, the messier it got! Now, I have to say, we did not stick to this plan completely, but it was still a good tool to see our progress.



No comments:

Post a Comment