Thursday, August 20, 2015

Book Club


Hello, and welcome to my book club with myself! This summer, we got library cards and I have read several books (which is unlike my current self, but reminiscent of my 3rd grade self). Here are my reviews and recommendations:


For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhahn

This book is great for married women or women who are in a serious relationship. Its an awesome book about the way that men think, act, and react to women. The best thing about it is that it is based on fact, not opinion. Shaunti has developed survey questions asking men about specific topics, and then explained using Biblical principles in words how this can be interpreted by women. Its very informative and just shows how men and women are different. Another great thing about this book is that there is an accompanying book called For Men Only, which is the same concept and is written by Shaunti and her husband. The books suggest for each person to read the opposite first, take notes if you agree or disagree, and then switch, reading your designated book. We have both books and they are very informational about yourself and your spouse. I would recommend these books to anyone who is married, especially if you want to understand the opposite gender better



The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffennegger


This book is a romantic novel with a science-fiction spin on it. I had seen the movie several years ago, and the day we got our library card, I just sort of stumbled upon it, and decided to check it out. This book is very intriguing because it is not in the normal chronological order. It is written in a way that keeps the reader on the edge of the seat, in part due to the nature of time travel. In one chapter Claire might be 6 and Henry might be 39, then in the next chapter Claire might be 22 and Henry might be 28. Its very interesting, but sometimes I had to re-read parts to make sure I fully understand. I would recommend this book to adults, as there allusion to sexual interactions and cussing.



Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury


I checked this book out, I suppose, because its considered a classic.  Its the genre of books and movies that I normally find intriguing, which is Utopia/Dystopia. I had no idea what to expect when I started reading this. I thought it was a bit slow at the beginning, but it soon picked up to where I was enjoying it. Basically the main character goes on a philosophical journey from destroying knowledge to passing on knowledge. I don't know the story or history behind this book or the author, but it sort of makes me mad that there is no sequel. Its almost as if the author just got tired of telling this story and just looked for ways to tie up the loose ends. I was not super pleased after I closed the book. It was entertaining enough, but I was disappointed enough to not recommend this.



A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle


I decided to re-read this book because I remember liking it from somewhere around 5th or 6th grade. The ONLY thing I remember from this book is a weird scene where the kids arrive on some planet and all of the children on that planet are each bouncing a ball at the same tempo. Well, the second time around, its still weird. Additionally, I found this book more annoying than I remembered. This is probably due to the fact that its written for a 10 year old... Anyway, for a 10 year old, I would recommend; for a 27 year old, I would not. 



Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card


Although I had heard of the title from the movie (of which I haven't seen), I had not realized this was a book, much less a series of books. I decided to read this book because it was on a list I found of 'best science-fiction books' or something like that. Again, not what I expected, but this time, in a good way. Its a story of Ender (the main character) who is sent to battle school in space at the age of 6. It tells his struggles and successes that come with being an exceptional strategist, commander, and overall human. At first I thought this book was considered Young Adult, but it is actually labeled Adult, so take that into consideration. I would definitely recommend this book, and I'm considering reading the sequels. 

Have you read any of these books? What were your opinions of them? Leave a comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment