Monday, August 3, 2015

Make Art using Newspaper



I decided to start this project because of a friend's Bridal Shower. Her shower was going to highlight the fact that her new name was going to start with a T, so all of the bridesmaids were supposed to provide Ts for decoration for the party and eventually decor for the couple's new home.




First, I gathered an old newspaper. Since we don't subscribe to the paper, all I had to work with was a random newspaper that gets delivered to use once a month or something like that. Turns out, most of the articles are about pop culture and the classifieds.




Next, I cut small squares about 2 in x 2 in. I was careful to make sure that the squares had mostly words, as opposed to pictures or advertisements.








I rolled the pieces of paper into small rolls, and used scotch tape to tentatively secure them. This is reason #137 why I never did drugs; I'm not very good at rolling.








Using a hot glue gun, I attached the rolls of paper onto a cardboard letter that I had cut out of some scrap cardboard I had in the garage.












This is a photo of the project after all of the rolls were secured, but before I worked on giving it a polished look. In some cases, I think this would be an excellent stopping point, depending on the look you are going for.













After playing with Koba for a bit, I trimmed down the edges of the T, and I was amazed at the transformation!















Using puzzle glue, I covered the front of the project. Not only did this help to secure the rolls further, but it also created a somewhat glossy look.









Finally, I painted a frame, created a white background using card stock, attached the letter to the frame, and outlined the T with a Sharpie. As you can see from this photo, the glass would not fit over the T due to its 3D-ness. 












To create the finished product, I reused newspaper and cardboard. I already had the scotch tape, hot glue, card stock, and Sharpie. I bought the frame at GoodWill for $2. The entire project only cost $2 to complete!




Check out this other letter project, where I reused a cereal box!


http://coldtuesdaymorning.blogspot.com/2015/05/make-block-letters.html





No comments:

Post a Comment