Monday, May 11, 2015

Sweet and Sassy Hash Brown

Ok, I LOVE sweet potatoes. Lets just start with that. I was thinking I wanted to try a new recipe for a sweet potato that 1) wasn't going to take me an hour and a half to fix, and 2) wasn't going to be super sweet. I wanted it somewhere along the lines of the sweet potato fries at restaurants that are sort of sweet and savory at the same time.

Finally I found a recipe online that I thought might fit the bill. They called it "Sweet and Sassy Hash Brown." Looks pretty good right? A supposed sweet potato recipe that takes only 30 minutes to provide a delicious side dish. And so, I started.

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbsp. butter substitute 
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 1/4 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
Directions:
1. Clean and chop sweet potato and onion into small pieces. A normal person would use a grater of some sort, but hey, a real woman chops the whole thing with a knife, right?



2. Melt butter into a large skillet. After the butter is melted add sweet potato and onion pieces. Cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Make sure when you take the lid off to stir, you keep your cat away. He'll try to sabotage your meal.



3. Add chili powder, garlic powder and cinnamon and stir. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes.

4. Let cool for 3 minutes and serve.



Review:
Well, I had high expectations for this recipe firstly because I usually love sweet potatoes. Secondly, because the reviews on the website where I found the recipe were great. Additionally, I personally thought my outcome looked pretty tasty! So, imagine my confusion when not only was it not "great," it was oddly bland. It was still edible, but I'll say, I won't be combining these ingredients again. Not something I would like to eat twice.

Now, is it because I changed an ingredient from the original recipe?... Is it because I chopped by hand instead of using a grater?... Is it because I forgot to leave the pan covered for the first 5 minutes?... We will ever know. But hey, if you like bland food, or if you like trying random new recipes, or if you think you can get a more successful outcome, I encourage you to try this recipe! Although the taste was disappointing, I still had fun.

Nathan rated this recipe a 2/5.
I rated this recipe 2/5.

Original recipe on retrieved from AllRecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment