Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Stanley Cup Playoffs?!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ...not Christmas, I mean the NHL Playoffs! Time for a new champion to be crowd...or a new chump to be hated on. 16 Teams have qualified, and I'm going to give you my personal analysis of every series.

St. Louis Blues vs. Minnesota Wild: I'm not very good at writing good things about my teams (more on that later...) so I figured I might as well start off with some teams that I hate! Oh, Minnesota...it's not your fault...it's Ryan Suter's fault. I never want to see that scum win the Stanley Cup, but they happen to be playing my most hated team in all of the sports world. So, Go Wild! The Wild have been riding an INSANELY hot goalie in Devan Dubnyk, and have enough superstar talent to hoist Lord Stanley's hardware this year...even though I hope that they only beat STL. I think this will be a very close series, and may end up seeing a winner via a game 7 OT winner. And St. Louis...I hate you. More than I hate UK basketball. And that's saying a lot. I hope that your team is moved and collapses financially, you jerks. Minnesota in 7.

Nashville Predators vs. Chicago Blackhawks: This one is pretty simple...Nashville has played TERRIBLE after February. Was it the Franson/Santorelli trade? Did they peak too soon? Should they have kept Kevin Klein? Answer to all: YES. Nashville has been such a disappointment. You were the best team in the league for months! WHAT HAPPENED?! They make me sick. They could have gotten out of this terrible matchup by winning just a few more games but now they are going to go down like some punks. They are going in on a 6 game losing streak...they're doomed. Plus, the Blackhawk's lineup is healthy(er) and Patrick Kane is back. This one is easy: Blackhawks in 4. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Anaheim Ducks vs. Winnipeg Jets: I haven't watched a lot of the Jets, but they have been hot recently. Trading Evander Kane must have been a great decision for many reasons. If Big Buff can stay away from another stupid suspension, they could take this series. However, man, the Ducks have some big names! Perry, Getzlaf, Fowler, Kesler...I like this team (I don't, actually, but I like the way they play hockey). Hard decision, but I'm going to go with Ducks in 6(?)

Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks: Calgary has been hot as fire as of late (see what I did there?) and I don't think they will slow down, especially with Johnny hockey and Jonas Hiller. The Flames have made a seemly impossible run into a playoff spot while riding a hot goalie, and that always tends to lead to a deep playoff run. And then, there's the CaSucks...I hate this team. The Sedin Sisters (HA!) are getting old, Kesler is playing for the Ducks, and Ryan Miller doesn't have it in him to win a Cup, unfortunately for him. So, I think Flames in 6.

Montreal Canadiens vs. Ottawa Senators: I like the Habs. P.K. Subban is a beast, as well as a hot head, but I like that about him. Carey Price has been playing out of his mind this season, and Les Habitants have enough scoring power to at least make it past round one...and hey, they don't have to give up every bit of energy this year to beat the Bruins! The Sens have played well coming into the playoffs, but it won't be enough to even out a terrible matchup. Canadiens in 5.

Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Detroit Red Wings: Tampa Bay has spent the last few years building a team around Steven Stamkos, and now the Stammer Hammer looks to make an appearance in round two! I hate the Lightning, but just like the Wild, I like the team that they play even less. Detroit has an uncanny ability to take a roster with the average age of 75 and still make it to the playoffs, but this year, the bones will start to creak a little too much. Tampa Bay in 6!!

New York Rangers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins: Hey, Pitt...have you been watching Nashville play too much? What happened to you, O Mighty Scoring Machine? The Penguins have won about as much as Nashville has since the trade deadline...less than 40%. LESS. THAN. 40%. Near 35%. Unbelievable. Fleury has somehow managed to stop a couple of pucks for what seems like the first time in years, so good for him, but they are TERRIBLE. If Nashville and Pittsburgh played each other, it would almost be like two good teams playing each other! Except that they aren't, and they're not. The Rangers seem to be on a warpath since their defeat in the Stanley Cup Finals last year, and I'm picking them to win the Cup...I guess. I hate to pick them, but they are better than the Blues. Rangers in 4. SWEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Washington Capitals vs. New York Islanders: I can appreciate Jaroslav Halak now that he's not a Blue Note, and he's a great goalie. He also has a defense and offense around him to complement him. Tavares is a scoring machine! However, so is Ovi. The best scorer in the league will be out and about during this matchup; he looks to (finally) make it to the Cup Finals. And I love Coach Trotz. And don't worry, Coach! Your system lives on in Nashville! The Preds have suddenly remembered what you taught them in how to lose in the playoffs! But now that Trotz has a much better team around him (like, one with some actual OFFENSE) he may get to coach more hockey into April. Tough decision, but I'm going with Capitals in 7.

So, there is my analysis of Round One! Nashville is a disgrace and I feel sick to my stomach even thinking about them, but as long as the Blues go down eventually, I don't care! If you disagree with any of my analyses, please feel free to leave a comment below. Ashley and I have filled out our brackets, and they look like this. As Paul McCann would say, Goodnight, and Good Hockey!

My Bracket


Ashley's Bracket

Click on these links to see my analyses and predictions from other rounds:
Round 1 | Round 2 | Round 3 | An Ode to the Champions

No comments:

Post a Comment