Monday, March 16, 2015

Abstract Canvas


I recently painted some abstract canvases for our bedroom. Although I would consider myself fairly crafty, this is a project that anyone can complete! Follow the steps below to make your own!





To make this, I used 16x20 canvases, a foam brush, and craft paint. I painted these side-by-side so that it would obvious that they are the same style and color. 



First, I started with, what I would call a blob in the upper corner of the canvases. The first color I chose to start with was muted navy blue. To make this color, I used Royal Blue and Brown. These just happened to be some colors that I had.



Using the foam brush you can easily fade from one color to the next. This works better when you are using similar shades, but as you can see, it works with totally different color as well (red).



As I went along, I tried to be mindful of the shapes I was forming. I wanted the two paintings to be similar, but different, and definitely not a mirror image of one another. 



I used mainly many shades of blue (which I mixed to match our bedspread), but I also added the red streak, and the pink and khaki streaks. This gives the eye a focal point, instead of just glazing over. 



I pretty much just painted curvy lines. Each time I would added a new streak, I overlapped a bit onto the previous streak. Overlapping using the foam brush makes it easy to blend from one streak to the next.



You'll see in the large photo, that I actually flipped one of the canvases. I planned on this from the beginning as to help with them looking similar, yet different.

This project took me an hour at most. For this project, I used royal blue, brown, khaki, and red to mix all of the shades you see here. As I mentioned, you try this out with any colors (however I would probably stray from lots of black).

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment