Thursday, March 26, 2015

Kale Chips

Kale? What the heck is kale?

It's a vegetable. It's green. It's leafy. It's a fad. But hey, who cares? I'm not against jumping on the bandwagon! Especially when the bandwagon is only 34 calories per serving.

I started hearing about kale frequently on a couple of YouTubers' vlogs. They're from LA, and obviously more up on the trends than I. They rave about it, and because we're such great friends, I decided I'd give it a try.


Ingredients:
  • Kale
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Get a cookie sheet ready (I lined mine with aluminum foil for easy clean up).

2. Strip the kale leaves from the stems. I learned this from Rachel Ray (she's also one of my good friends). Place the stem between your pointer and middle finger and form a hook shape (see the picture below). The pull your fingers towards the tip of the kale. The leaves come off pretty easy.


3. Wash and dry the kale. If you have a lot of time, its ok to let it air dry. I was on a time crunch because the spaghetti was already cooking, so I used a clean towel to dry mine faster.

4. Spread the kale leaves onto the cookie sheet. Pour extra virgin olive oil on top of the kale. Then, toss the kale with your hands so that the EVOO gets on it evenly(ish). Sprinkle generously with salt.

5. Cook in the oven for about 5-9 minutes or until crisp. I have seen recipes that direct you to flip the kale to evenly crisp them, but I did not do that.

6. Serve.


Review:
Overall this recipe was a success! Most of the kale was nice and crisp (like a thin potato chip). Surprisingly, Nathan seemed to REALLY like the kale chips....

Nathan rated this recipe a 4 / 5
I rated this recipe 4.5 / 5

Original Recipe was found on TheKitchn.com

4 comments:

  1. Gotta try it! Plus, you have taught me several things---VROO and now I have to look up Vlog. Keep me young Ashley! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil
      Vlog = "Video Blog"

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. I need to try your recipe! Kale is a good source of Manganese and Vitamin K, among other good qualities. Some recent archaeological discoveries suggest that the ancient Romans made medicinal tablets/pills using a mix of vegetables, including kale and cabbage.

    ReplyDelete